Friday, April 17, 2009

Blast and bedevilment, it's Ditmar time again, and the hoary old arguments are coming out. Apparently, it is an offense against nature to lobby people to nominate you, or to nominate stuff that you, and they like. So my little pony, sorry, magazine, shouldn't get its members together to nominate a whole bunch of artwork and stories that we've published over the last year. This despite the fact that other groups will do this.

Note that I do not say vote for a work when it's on the ballot. That's a whole different question, with a whole different group of responders. Anyone who's involved in fandom, or who is known to a few fans, can nominate works for a Ditmar. Only those who are members of this or last year's Natcon can vote for the final ballot.

Okay, for instance: Sean Williams' The Changeling is eligible, and I'm going to tell everybody I can that it should be nominated, because I think it's one of the best things he's written. In fact, I'm going to try to organise for it to be on the ballot. I also think that Dirk Flinthart's story "This is not my story" deserves a place on the ballot, and, again, I'll tell everybody I can to nominate it. Because I'm a member of the ASIM collective, I'll suggest to them that Dirk should get a guernsey. Now, for some people, this is a foul crime, offensive to the purity of the turf. I says it's what groups do, and have been doing as long as the Ditmars have been in existence, and I've been around to watch about thirty of the award ceremonies.

There are those who believe that we should sit on remote mountaintops and never discuss the works that surround us, never say that you'll like something if you read it, or that this is a piece of crap. I'm a reviewer, and I do it for a living. Lots of people do it as conversation. So what? Discussion as to the worth of a story or a piece of artwork is normal, and will influence what you nominate.

Note that I do not say organise bloc voting for the final ballot. Yeah, I know it's been done, but that goes too far. You get five (or seven) choices in the Ditmar ballot, culled out of all the nominations. Far too frequently, good stories just do not get on the ballot, because too few people nominate them. Sometimes it's just because they have been published in some inaccessible journal, sometimes it's timing; people have short memories. They lose their one chance to gain recognition, for what it's worth, because they're only eligible for a single year. I have a story in my collection Son et Lumiere called "Shark in a Foggy Sea." It's a pretty good story, got an honourable mention in a year's best, that sort of thing. Wasn't nominated for anything, possibly because it was published in Nemonymous 3. Ever heard of that journal? No, I didn't think so. It was republished in Son et Lumiere, and got a few good reviews. Can't be nominated, because it's a reprint, even though this is its first Australian publication. I should have got a few people together, the year that it was published, to nominate it, because I think the story deserved it.

We at ASIM have done the noble thing over the years and gone our own separate ways in nominations. I'm damned sure that hasn't been the case for other groups. Consequently, even though we've published a lot of short stories, we don't figure much on the ballot. Ah, the fruits of nobility: holding one's virtuous head high while the people who write and illustrate our magazine don't get the recognition they deserve.

My predictions for the ballot? Well, they'd have to do with fictional planets.

Later

4 comments:

  1. You're my favourite grumpy old fan, bar none. Being a cranky-pants myself, I love reading your thoughts. I don't care what they are, I just love reading 'em.

    Sorry, that was a bit of a fluffy comment, given the passion of your post. I don't really feel "qualified" (a la Monty Python) to comment much on all the apparent kerfuffle surrounding the Ditmars, other than to say that I don't see much problem with discussion amongst groups about nominations they agree (or disagree, as the case may be) on. Obviously, as you said, bloc voting is another matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Felicity, we must meet at Conjecture and admire each other's quirks. In fact, I hope as many ASIMites as possible make it to Conjecture because a) then I won't be lonely, wrapped in the warm, fuzzy comfort of ASIM, and b) then we'll have a powerful lobby group and hold the damnedest brainwash room parties.(wave a copy of ASIM; get a free cocktail, and I can probably charge to drinks bill up to tax as PR for my book and my little publishing house) This has nothing to do with the Ditmars. Honest. Truly. Would I lie to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, about five years ago I could have sworn ASIM had engaged in a bizarrely botched bloc nomination when four out of six nominees for Best Professional Artwork were for Les Petersen ASIM covers. I've since found out that this wasn't the case, and I've been led to wonder that maybe an organised bloc nomination might have actually been a better idea. Then you'd have the best story in ASIM opposite the best story in Borderlands vs the best story in Shiny, etc. A better spread of nominees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nemonymous 3 is still for sale, for any who have not heard of it!
    www.nemonymous.com

    ReplyDelete